|It’s Time to Reclaim Your Focus|
With the multitude of devices at our disposal we have become a society of interconnectedness, and have seen once clear divisions of work and personal life blend into one. This has created an international society of workers who are experts at balancing a number of tasks, while never really being able to focus on one task. There are just too many factors pulling our attention in multiple directions.
It’s time to reclaim our focus at work and here are seven tips to help you do so.
- Practice productivity wind-sprints. While at work, we’re normally doing work while browsing Facebook or chatting. This can be harmful for productivity and shifts your focus from important work related activities. Interval training is a great way to increase your focus. Get a timer, set it for ten minutes, and focus solely on your work. When the timer goes off take a two minute break.
- Defensive scheduling. Our days are filled with commitments and we struggle to keep up with our projects or find time to work uninterrupted. Schedule a meeting with yourself at a convenient time. Treat this meeting like a real meeting, no interruptions. This is your time to focus on important tasks or projects.
- Socialize with your tablet. Separate work from social activities with a tablet. We’re often just hitting our stride with work when BING, we get a chat message. What do we do? Immediately reply to the message. When we do that we lose our focus and struggle to regain it. Why not use use your tablet for all social activities and work computer strictly for work? Combined with tip one, this could really help you focus.
- Realize your unconscious focus. The vast majority of managers often aren’t sure what the top issue in their mind is. It comes with multitasking, we’re always making less important ideas critical, and this takes our focus off the most important issues. To realign your focus take some time, let your mind wander, and make note of the ideas you keep returning to. These are your most critical issues.
- Focus on most important tasks first. When you get into the office in the morning switch off your phone and email alerts. Focus on your most important priorities, this will give you time to get your most important work out of the way, before you shift your focus onto other less important projects.
- Disconnect. Many of us don’t take time to give our brains a rest, we’re always thinking and possibly worrying about work. It’s beneficial to your mental and physical health if you take time each day to disconnect from the office. Temporarily sever all ties with the office and focus on something you enjoy doing. Remember, this is your time don’t think of work, focus on the activity.
- Can’t focus? Consider if what you’re doing is right for you. If you find that you really can’t focus, even with the previous techniques, it might be time to consider that what you’re doing is actually something you don’t care about or enjoy. If this is true for you, then it’s time to start looking for a change.
With these tips you should see an increase in your focus and productivity. If you would like to know more about how to improve your productivity please contact us, we can help.
|Software or Template? A BCP Roadblock|
One issue that’s gaining steam, especially with SMEs, is business continuity planning. Many companies are starting to develop plans so that they can continue to operate through both problems large and small. If you’re one such company, and are stuck at the point where you need to choose between software and templates, we have some advice for you.
|P2P and Cloud Storage Can Have Risk|
Does your company use cloud storage services or peer-to-peer (P2P) networks for the storage and sharing of data? Many businesses are now using both these services in an effort to make work less complicated. But did you know that there are potential issues in relation to recoverability and security of data?
|Take the Stress out of Presentation Creation|
In many businesses, including yours, a good presentation can be the difference between success and failure. The majority of your employees have a degree of competence and comfort while creating presentations. The key questions are: do they reach the target audience, and are they effective? Unfortunately, the majority of the time the answer is no.
|Don’t Call IT, Try These Windows 7 Tips|
When we hear the word “Windows” many of us don’t think of the pieces of glass separating us from the outside world, we think of the Operating System. Windows has become the main OS for people and business alike, with many adopting or upgrading to Windows 7. As with all programs, there are times when it decides to take a short holiday and stops working, what do you do then?
Share this Newsletter!
BC Networks Launches New Website
Visit our new website
to learn how to get the greatest return on your business computer investment, with the fewest worries.
With Managed Services
from BC Networks, you transfer the day-to-day management of your technology to us. Learn how your business can benefit.
Make the move to a more dynamic infrastructure through Virtualization
. Let BC Networks show you how.
Check out the BC Networks White Paper Library for simple technology tips you and your staff can put to use today.